M-commerce is taking up a progressively larger slice of the online retail space. One out of four people now own a smartphone worldwide (much higher rate in developed countries), and 55% of all time spent on retail sites takes place on a mobile device. Mobile device penetration is on the rise and your site needs to be ready to take advantage of this new opportunity.
Mobile devices have changed the way people research, browse, buy, and transact on the Web. Here are some stats from around the Web that paint a picture of the mobile commerce landscape.
- Mobile web adoption is growing eight times faster than web adoption did in the 1990’s and early 2000’s.
- Fifty-nine percent of U.S. smartphone owners have used their devices to research an item before purchasing it, compared to 65 percent for tablet owners.
- Mobile devices will account for 30 percent of global retail e-commerce spending by 2018, up from 15 percent in 2013.
- “Cyber Monday” in 2013 saw retail sales via mobile and tablets approach $400 million in the U.S. alone.
- The importance of ecommerce on mobile devices is further reinforced by the fact that 35 percent of visitors to the most popular e-commerce sites only access those Web sites from mobile devices.
- By the end of 2017, U.S. mobile users will spend $90 billion via mobile payments, a 48 percent increase over the $12.8 billion spent in 2012.
- Mobile payments are revolutionizing how consumers spend online, and 50 percent of current smartphone users say they will use their mobile wallets for daily transactions as early as 2016.
- Tablet transactions topped $28 billion in 2013.
- Seventy-five percent of mobile shoppers redeemed a coupon from their mobile devices in 2013. Additionally, 80.4 percent of shoppers said their perception of a retailer would improve if the retailer offered mobile deals and coupons.
- Eighty percent of mobile users’ purchasing decisions are influenced by the mobile channel, even though they may not use their devices to complete the final purchase.
goMobi’s Next eBook
Another great goMobi Guide is on it’s way – this time, a complete guide to Mobile Commerce. If you would like an advance copy – please enter your email address here.
If you would like a copy of our last publication How To Master Mobile SEO, it’s still available and up to date.